The facts in this blog post were confirmed on Thursday, October 12 as of 2:00 p.m.
In a state of emergency, dozens of wildfires continue to blaze through northern California’s Napa, Sonoma, Mendocino, and Yuba counties. With nearly 200,000 acres destroyed, people have lost loved ones, remain missing, and are left homeless. First responders join efforts, working tirelessly to end this unbelievable tragedy.
Near or far, here is how you can contribute and help those in need.
- Volunteer! From evacuation centers to fairgrounds there are several ways to get involved. (Sonoma-Marin Fairgrounds, Sonoma Community Center, Solano County Fairgrounds, Yuba- Sutter Fairgrounds, Red Cross, Center for Volunteer & Nonprofit Leadership) Call beforehand to see if and when help is needed.
- Bring supplies to local food banks, community centers, and fire stations. Call beforehand to find out what supplies are needed.
- Donate and bring supplies to local humane societies. (Sonoma Humane Society, Napa Humane Society, Yuba- Sutter SBCA, Humane Society of North Bay). Shelters are also in desperate need of foster homes— contact directly for more information.
- Open your house to evacuees. Airbnb has launched an Open Homes program available to those seeking shelter free-of-charge. If possible, residents in safe areas are encouraged to volunteer to provide a safe space.
- Shop, eat, drink local. Dozens of restaurants, shops, breweries/wineries are donating a percentage of their profits to relief efforts. To name a few: The Dorian (San Francisco), Heritage Eats (Napa), Chez Marius (San Francisco), Le P’tit Laurent (San Francisco), Crooked Goat Brewing (Sebastopol), Carpe Diem (Napa). Is your business giving back? Let us know.
- Stay safe and off roads to keep emergency lines clear.
Not a local? No problem! Your help is greatly appreciated!
- Give to the Napa Valley Community Disaster Relief Fund. Online, check, and cash donations are much appreciated. Donate here.
- Donate to the Sonoma County Resilience Fund here.
- GoFundMe has put together a centralized site for all the fundraising campaigns for families, businesses, and first responders affected by the fires. Support relief efforts here.
- Donate to Red Cross.
- Drink Napa and Sonoma wine! We need your support more than ever.
Last but not least, please promise to come back and visit! We depend on visitors like you, and we can’t wait to host you in our beloved wine country again.
With a heavy heart, our thoughts go out to those being affected. Stay strong and stay safe!